Over the holiday break my mom bought coffee cake muffins from a grocery store near by. We were surprised how good they were! The muffins were light and had a crumbly sugar-cinnamon mixture on top. So I decided I would make some myself.
These coffee cake muffins are even better then the store bought ones. They have a crumbly cinnamon-sugar topping and a glaze. Just in case you need the extra sugar. 🙂 Perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee.
Coffee Cake Muffins
Makes 10 large muffins
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla)
1 large egg
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1. Make streusel topping first in a small bowl until the mixture becomes crumbly. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl for the batter. Mix together wet ingredients in a separate bowl including the melted butter.
3. Stir together wet and dry ingredients to form a thick batter.
4. Spoon batter into each tin. Fill each tin to about half. You should only use half of the batter!
5. Put a spoonful of the streusel onto each muffin. Use only half of the streusel!
6. Using the rest of the batter, spoon on top of the streusel. Then add the rest of the streusel to the muffins. It’s ok if it overflows.
7. Bake muffins for 15-20 mins. Let cool and then add the icing! Enjoy.